The First Open Conference for presenting research results from SEAFOODplus was held on Monday 4 October 2004 at Dansk Industri/Danish Industry Building, H.C.Andersens Boulevard 18, Copenhagen. An audience of 200 people listened to the 21 presentations given during the open conference day.
This conference presented the first wave of results coming out of the 20 SEAFOODplus research projects that started on 1 January 2004, highlighting:
- specific effects on heart diseases
- consumer motives for buying fish
- how to avoid virus in shellfish
- reduction of histamine poisoning
- pharmaceutical components obtained from fish by-products
- improved quality of farmed fish
- ethical aspects within aquaculture
- hands-on traceability solutions
The conference also informed the participants about possibilities to have a closer contact to the researchers by becoming an associated partner, or work towards obtaining full membership status.
This conference was attended by:
(1) seafood industry representatives who got the most recent updates on research results that should benefit their operations,
(2) governmental officials who got adequate background information for future directives within health, safety and consumer aspects, and
(3) decision makers within the private and the public sector.
5 AND 6 OCTOBER
Following the Open Conference, the SEAFOODplus partners continued to meet on 5 -6 October. This was a closed session for SEAFOODplus project partners only. The first Annual SEAFOODplus General assembly and the first meeting of the External Advisory Board took place on 6 October.
The Conference was attended by the press. Following the Open Conference 4 October, a meeting for SEAFOODplus participants was held on 5- 6 October at the same venue. The press had access to the activities these days in order to get more detailed information about the project.