Within the SEAFOODplus organisation structure, a special team has been provided for attending the details of the Gender Action Plan and to manage it during the whole project period. The activities are coordinated within the ITD Pillar 1 ‘Communication to Industry, Consumer and Public Administration; Socio-economic, Gender and Ethical aspects’. The programme of ITD pillar 1 includes a significant part of activities in order to develop new forms of relationships between citizens and institutions in Europe, including organisations working for the promotion of gender equality and networks of women scientists.
The Gender Action Plan consists of a few measures which need to be fulfilled. Among these are:
- Carrying out statistics on the representation of women in projects and in the scientific management;
- Monitoring a scheme for new women Ph.D. students, or other junior scientists entering SEAFOODplus;
- Taking special action in order to bring more women into SEAFOODplus research projects;
- Aspiring women research scientists to attend management meetings, as well as for them to take courses in research leadership at all levels;
- Link with highschools and universities to trigger women’s interest in the projects;
- Link with networks of women scientists within the areas of discipline of SEAFOODplus